With more and more landlords letting their properties, following the correct procedures for a new tenant is absolutely vital. By missing one step you run the risk of facing heavy penalties.
As of 1 October 2015, a landlord must provide their tenants with a number of other documentation as well as a valid tenancy agreement including a Gas Safe Certificate, Energy Performance Certificate and providing the prescribed information and deposit protection details.
Different tenancies will have different requirements for example houses in multiple occupation (HMO’s) will require fire safety measurements in place.
The courts will look heavily unfavourably upon landlords who fail to follow the correct procedures. If you then need to evict a tenant who has defaulted on the tenancy agreement, this will be a much more difficult and expensive struggle.
If you feel that your landlord is not complying with their obligations, please contact us to find out how we can assist.
Where you are looking to rent out your property and looking to move into a rented accommodation, we can assist in:
- Preparing a full and valid tenancy agreement
- Placing a deposit in a protection scheme
- Advising of your obligations and rights
- Advising of the documentation required on a new tenancy
- Serving notice on a tenant to remedy a breach
- Serving notice on a tenant to quit
- Serving notice of transfer and rent authority letters
Call us today to ensure you are fully compliant and that your position is legally protected.